Thursday, May 18, 2006

Colonial Day



Can you believe it??? Danah (only ten years old) has today worn to school the dress I wore to my deb ball in 1980 as part of her "colonial day" costume AND it fit her (except in the bust area)!!! Along with gloves and a shawl from Mum and an apron and mop cap from an Ol' English outfit I made years ago. I knew that horrid ol' dress would come in handy for something one day!!! Wait until I tell my (school) girlfriend, Vikki, about this when I see her next week in Sydney - she'll crack up. Danah was really pleased with the result but came home with horror stories about schooling in the 1900's. Made her appreciate how good things are these days for her at school. She was also horrified about the attitude towards females students (they weren't expected to learn what boys learnt, 'girls are dumb', girls didn't get to play sport like the boys). They must have spent some time talking about the role of women back then. Tara's comment was "that makes wives sound like slaves". Go Girls!!!

On a scrapbooking note - I had a win with my "Spring Time in Vancouver" LO last weekend on the LSBS cyber crop.....woo hoo!!! Won myself a ribbon and embellishment pack - not sure what they will include but you can never have enough ribbon!!!

Off to have drinks, dinner and maybe the theatre tomorrow night with (uni) friends, Cathy and Jo. Jo's a school teacher in Mt Isa and is in town to catch up with family here ATM from overseas. Will be nice to have a 'girls' night out even though I'll have to drive.

2 comments:

Alicia Barry said...

She looks great. Excellent photos too. I can't wait to have a subject who will stay still and pose for me.

Sara Pearcy said...

I love these photos! I can't believe your Deb gown has been reverted to the costume cupboard!! Why aren't you wearing it to all your work functions???

xx S.