Friday, May 05, 2006

Tourist Time Again

Well my work here is done! The conference finished today and I'm back into 'tourist' mode again! Won't bore you with conference talk other than to say I was a little disappointed! Brazil and Cambodia should be my next trips - they were the only two countries talking about reducing harm for young people sniffing! Although someone was talking to me about it up in the polar regions of Canada!!!! Did pick up some interesting information (non-sniffing) but overall not as successful as I'd hoped. The food @ the conference was fantastic - lots of it and interesting selections/options. For example, morning tea one day we had a selection of fresh fruit smoothies. Today they had yoghurt and mueslie (sp??) parfaits.

I'm keeping with my multicultural adventures foodwise - I had Italian (pasta) and African (curry) for dinner the last two nights. Trying to decide if I'll have Ukranian or French Canadian tonight!

The weather has been divine and today I took my jacket OFF while outside!!! They are predicting cold and rain again for Saturday and Sunday so I've changed my trip to Grouse Mountain (north Vancouver) from Sunday to Friday as good weather will impact on this trip more than my trip to Whistler. There is a cable car, suspension bridge, wildlife refuge and SNOW @ Grouse Mt so looking forward to taking lots of pics again.

I rang my Grandfather's niece (Dad's cousin) who lives in LA today as I have a 10 hour stop over on my way home. She's an elderly lady but is going to come and pick me up for a visit. Never know - we may drive nearby an American scrap shop on the way to or from her place???

Speaking of which - I ventured out into the suburbs again today (different direction) after the conference concluded - to find another scrapbook shop. This one was much better than the previous one although I'm still impressed with our range and prices in Austrlia. The lovely lady gave me a scrap magazine when she found out I was from Australia.

The bus ride took me through the 'nasty' part of downtown Vancouver (I'd heard lots about it at the conference) and it was terrible. The shops were all boarded up and run down, homeless people, prostitutes, drug users openly on the streets and this is during the day. Hate to be down there at nighttime! Very depressing and sad!

On a much happier note - I rang Peter and the girls for Peter's birthday yesterday. I told him I'd 'sung' happy birthday to him on my blog - I think he was worried I DID actually sing. No way - don't want to scare people off!!!

Til tomorrow....I'm off

2 comments:

Sara Pearcy said...

What a shame you're disappointed with the conference. Well, lucky you have a lovely trip to BC to compensate! Glad to hear you are having a good look around. Can't wait to see the photos!

xx S.

PS. I'm visitor #100 to your blog!!

Alicia Barry said...

Sorry to hear you didn;t get muvch out of the conference, although you still got to go to Canada, so it's not all bad.