Friday, April 28, 2006

Vancouver (First two days)

First impressions of Vancouver:

* Long long long cue (approx. 1 hour) through immigration
* Nice taxi driver who knew Australia (daughter had visited for a year)
* Similar feel to Melbourne (although once I got into the city area near water like Sydney too I guess)
* Cars on WRONG side of road!!! Drivers on WRONG side of car!!!
* Need to be VERY careful crossing the road!!
* First grocery shopping experience - Safeways - walked around in a daze looking at the different products trying to make decisions!
* Internet cafe first stop - paid up for 5 hours - shouldn't take long to use that!!!
* Cool, very fresh, wore gloves and big jacket. Fresh around ears and face!
* Amazing view from apartment - snow capped mountains in the distance, boats, harbour, walk ways, park land.
* Missing company - wish I wasn't on my own experiencing all this.
* French accents - dual language on packaging in supermarket.
* Toilets lower to the ground!!!

Today - Thursday 27 April

Asleep last night by 9pm and stayed in bed until about 8.30am. No decent TV last night made it easy to go to bed early and that I couldn't keep my eyes open!!! Did manage to try my Hershey's chocolate bar though! Had nice Mexican dinner last night nearby appartment. French speaking waitress wasn't sure what I meant by a glass of dry white wine - Mexican lady had to taste test first before serving it to me!! Wasn't a bad drop for a house wine.

This morning did a walk to the conference venue (after making some work based phone calls trying to sort out extra meetings). It's about a 20 minute walk with slight hill half way. Weather a bit rainy and cooler - wore my hat (all day due to hat hair!!!). Checked out some city shops and started gift purchases!

Had a lovely phone call from Peter and the girls (on their way to school Friday morning) finished with a tear in my eye!

Did my first "tourist" stop at the Storyeum in Gastown. History of BC highlighting lots of similarilties with Australia - English settlement, treatment of indigenous peoples, gold, railway and very proud now-a-days.

Late lunch - was going to have Subway but wanted to try "stuff" not @ home. Had a tuna melt bagel - yummy but strange 'orange' coloured cheese on top. Also had a cranberry cocktail!

I've booked my three day trips for Saturday this week and the following Saturday and Sunday. Also purchased an all day public transport ticket so I can go exploring tomorrow for scrapbooking shops!!!

Lots of walking today - very sore feet and legs. Only took some photos of the gardens/tulips in bloom. Off for Italian tonight after I finish here. Better check emails too.

2 comments:

Sara Pearcy said...

Sounds so exciting and interesting! Wish you had someone to share it with. I love your comment, "* Internet cafe first stop - paid up for 5 hours - shouldn't take long to use that!!!" ...I guess it will take 5 hours!! Hahahaha!

We're off to Deb's for a crop night now. Won't be the same without you.

xx S.

Alicia Barry said...

Sounds Awesome Amanda. It's a bit sad that you have to do it all on your own though. Can't wait to see some pics coming through. We'll miss you tonight.