Friday, April 28, 2006

LA & Flight to Vancouver

Well the flight wasn't too bad. While I had lots of leg room (I got the seat I wanted - exit row, isle seat) my seat was right beside the loo so I had people walking on my toes all night (should have worn glow-in-the-dark socks!!) as they waited to use the toilet. Took a sleeping tablet and probably got about 4-5 hours interupted sleep. Watched a couple of movies - "Walk the Line" Johnny Cash's story and most of "Broke Back Mountain" not sure what all the fuss was about!!

Flying into LA - from what little view I had - we could've been flying into Sydney or Melbourne. Negoitated customs with no dramas. The very stern official relaxed a little when he asked me what I was doing here, what the conference was, what I did and I said "law enforcement". The terminal for my flight to Vancouver was a short walk and after a little confusion I found the departure gate. A few shops but VERY disappointed the newsagency didn't have any scrapbooking magazines - didn't even know what I was talking about - referring me to jotting paper!!! Wouldn't want to spend 12 hours here on the way home!! Sat and chatted with a retired couple from the Sunshine Coast I'd met in Brisbane who are on their way to Vancouver too.

Slept from take off (started to feel very weary!!) when I opened the window blind I think I said "WOW" outloud - snow capped mountains filled my window seat view!!! Large lakes, rural farming areas, with circle crops and more light snow covered ranges.

Alaska Airlines seems very "quaint" - father, son and one lady flight attendents with interesting sense of humour. No meal provided - just drinks. Should have had more than a Starbucks coffee in LA.

1 comment:

Sara Pearcy said...

A great start, Amanda. Remind me to keep some jotting paper aside for you when you get home!!

Can't wait to hear why the flight-staff's sense of humour was 'interesting'.

Isn't it great to be able to pull that 'law enforcement' card?!?

xx S.