Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Rough Week

DH got the phone call at lunch time Sunday....his Mum (my mother-in-law MIL) had been in a nasty car crash with a semi-trailer truck south of Mackay. Her long time school friend of 60+ years was with her. We had limited details at this stage and after several hours we knew that my MIL was ok - airlifted to Mackay hospital and being checked out for internal injuries. Unfortunately her friend suffered several heart attacks and passed away at the scene.

We decided that DH should fly up to Mackay to be with his Mum asap....while the girls and I would follow up in the car. We got DH onto a flight late Sunday afternoon and we took off north in the car. We drove until about 9.30pm before checking into a hotel for a sleep. Then we had a 10 hour drive on Monday to get to Mackay.

My MIL has been extremely lucky to come away with bruises and cuts and they've now found she has a broken bone in her middle toe....nothing too serious. Although at 78 she's having trouble getting mobile again.

We are hoping she'll be released from hospital tomorrow and we'll drive her home near Rockhampton to grab a few things and secure her house before flying her, DH and eldest DD home on Friday afternoon. Youngest DD and I will drive back to Brisbane on Friday/Saturday.

Long term we're not sure what will happen. I imagine my MIL will want to move closer to Brisbane - but she's not a city person....so not sure what that will mean just yet.

We also have the stress of possible legal issues that may arise.

Just wanted to let everyone know we are all OK and I hope to be home scrapping again real soon!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Amanda! Thinking of and praying for you guys!

Michelle Jamieson said...

Thinking of you all, Manda.
Drive home safely. :)

Chelle Xx

BruganCampbell said...

Hugs to you all.

Alicia Barry said...

Sorry to hear that sad news Manda. Glad your MIL is Ok though.

Sara Pearcy said...

Oh Manda. I heard about that accident on the news and in the paper. I'm so sorry your MIL lost her good friend.

I wish your MIL a speedy recovery and hope her future runs as smoothly as possible. I'm glad P could get to her asap - he must have been very worried.

Thinking of you all. Have a safe trip home.

xx Sara.

LSBS Team said...

Thinking of you hun... hope everything works itself out in the end..

Yell out if you need anything!

Bon said...

Hugs to you and the fam Manda. What a way to start the year, can only get better from here.